Saturday, July 07, 2012

Process - From blue line to digital color

Or in this presentation the reverse as we start with the final stage and go back to the beginning.

Here's as far as I got in a recent sitting with Photoshop on what originated as a blue line concept sketch working with my students in Visual Development two months ago. I focused on areas of the character herself and not on clothing or weaponry. It's been a while since I've painted in Photoshop so I thought I'd get some practice.  I ended up painting opaquely as I would with a final pass in acrylics.


This is where I was prior to the final pass. Adding highlights and local color along with experimenting with a possible background color.


Before that I started the painting process by establishing shadow areas and general tonal values while enhancing form. Painting transparently while touching areas of her face with some modeling.


This is the original composition drawn with Col-erase blue pencil on 12 field Ingram animation paper. It's interesting to see how her appearance and demeanor evolve once color is added and form is developed through lighting.


Thanks for taking the time to view this. Hopefully it will help encourage you to keep creating. Thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate it as it's inspiring me to do the same.  



1 comment:

tengg said...

Very nice and beautiful.